Carbon dating printing wood blocks
The current was maintained throughout the deposition, which, over a period of several days, built up on the cylinder a copper coating one-eighth inch in thickness.When removed from the bath, the cylinders had a rough surface and were taken to the next department for grinding and polishing to a flawless finish.(From the Sun archives) Photo Leslie Hodge's apprenticeship indentures. Workers gather for a photo outside Rembrandt Intaglio Printing Co., in West Norwood, London. So did many photos of production departments at the Watford works. Blocks of engravings, ready for packaging, are lined up on a bench furnished with a weigh-scale, a glue pot, balls of cord, and labels reading 'Press Blocks - Urgent', 'Bristol', 'Ex Paddington', 'Ex St Pancras', and so on.Signed on October 5, 1920, by directors Edward Hunter and J. Hughes and by first company secretary John Edwards, the indentures accept Leslie Hodge as an apprentice of Sun Engraving. (Bill) Compton, and William Cartwright; front row: Fred Thorne, William (Berko) Monger, Jack Wheatley, Eddie Hutton, A. The man in the middle row, second from left, was a carpenter. (From the Sun archives) Photo Inside head office, Milford House, London, July 6, 1929. (From the Sun archives) Photo A Sun Engraving executive office, Milford House, London. At centre front is a small apparatus, complete with bobbin, that might be a stitcher, and beside it are covers for a book entitled His Private Life. (From the Sun archives) Photo A Sun office, Watford, c. On the table, a copy of a Carters Seed catalogue and sheets of a fashion spread (likely for Weldon's).You will find pictures on many other pages of this site as well. Viney, chairman of Hazell, Watson & Viney, shows a distinguished guest some newly printed magazines in the Sun's Warehouse, while members of the Warehouse staff crowd around. With their support, photogravure saw its first commercial application in 1893. Jones presentation, Whippendell Road, Watford, 1908. ' The answer is on the cover of the programme for the dinner held at Buck's Restaurant, in Watford, Herts, on February 6.See, in particular, the Timeline, Facts & Opinions, and People pages. The Storeys, civic-minded art lovers, were quick to realize photogravure's potential for producing good quality art reproductions at prices the working classes could afford. The programme's pages are a lively mix of cartoons, in-jokes, spoofs, and doggerel, all poking gentle fun at company personalities (among them director and general manager David Greenhill). And new to the site are Gladys Rendell's Rembrandt photographs, 1932-1934. Our intent is to display here as many facets of the companies, and as many faces of the people, as we can. In 1890, engraver and innovator Karl Klic offered them his services, along with the photogravure process he had developed. In 1918, Edward Hunter will purchase the firm and combine his various printing and engraving operations on Whippendell Road under the banner of the Sun Engraving Company. The backdrop is clearly the Whippendell Road factory. But it was in the same collection as the photo above, so we presume it shows a team from a different (but earlier) year. The question was, 'How can a Dinner be held in Bucks and Herts at the same time? Corrie is an engraver who worked at the Sun from 1956 to 1982 and is still very active in the world of art. Sir Thomas Storey (founder), left, and his sons Herbert and Frank, of Storey Brothers & Company Ltd in Lancaster, were calico and oilcloth manufacturers, and printers of textiles. Art director Mortimer Menpes (possibly the man in the centre of the photo, in suit and watchchain) will take over and rename the company Menpes Press and then Menpes Printing and Engraving. The photo likely dates from Menpes days (most probably, between 19). Even less is known about this photo, including where it was taken. A flamboyant author and illustrator, and pioneer of colour process engraving, he was one of the founders of the firm of André and Sleigh of Bushey, which much later became the Sun Engraving Co.' (Photo supplied by Pat Skeates) Photo An André & Sleigh staff dinner, 1914.
The houses, built in 1914, were the first in Watford to have electricity.Ltd, Milford Lane, London; top left: André & Sleigh Ltd, Bushey, soon to be purchased by Anglo Engraving and renamed André Sleigh & Anglo Ltd; bottom: Menpes Printing & Engraving Co., Whippendell Road, Watford, soon to be purchased by Sun Engraving, at which time the factory would be expanded to accommodate all these companies at the same location. Sun gravure machine minder Jack Garratt recalled that the Watford Observer ran this photo around 1922, with the comment that it was not a picture of a battlefield in Flanders.It is an early photo of Whippendell Road as seen from the Hagden Lane junction, with the Jones/Menpes factory on the left.Ltd, Farringdon Street, London, where the firm occupied the 'shop' with a room or two at the back; top right: Anglo Engraving Co.Ltd, Raynes Park; centre and centre right: The Sun Engraving Co.