Cross dating dendro
Quick links on this page Kett's Rebellion 1549 Haverhill's two churches 1551 Lady Jane & Queen Mary 1553 England Catholic again 1555 England Protestant again 1559 Suffolk has own Sheriff 1576 Royal Progress to Norwich 1578 Spanish Armada 1588 Suffolk's Puritan clergy 1597 Gunpowder Plot 1605 Bury's first Charter 1606 Bury gets two MP's 1614 Hard times in Bury 1622 Laud attacks Puritans 1633 First Civil War 1642 Second Civil War 1648 King Charles I executed 1649 Restoration of Charles II 1660 Euston Hall society 1671 King now runs Corporation 1684 Glorious Revolution 1688 Celia Fiennes Tour 1698 Foot of Page 1699 Prior to the Dissolution of the Monasteries the Abbot of the Abbey of St Edmund upheld the King's law and imposed, and collected, taxes in the whole of the area later to become West Suffolk. The last abbot, John Reeve, was given a pension, and may have lived his remaining days in this house in Crown Street.
He died within a few months of the surrender of the abbey, and may never have received his generous pension of £333.
Over the next hundred years local government would replace the Abbots' Rule, but religious differences would cause bitter divisions in the country.
However, the town had now lost the use of the great library of the abbey, the access to the several hospitals which the monks had run, the grammar school was closed, and the various charities and good works of the monks were suddenly gone.
After about 1120 it seems to have become an hereditary post.
By 1536 the post of Steward of the Liberty had passed into the hands of Thomas Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk.
During the time of the abbey any form of local self determination by the townspeople of Bury existed solely through the Candlemas Guild and later the Guildhall Feoffment Trust.
These were Fornham St Martin, Fornham St Genevieve, and Fornham All Saints, Chevington, Hargrave, Risby, Sextons Manor at Westley, and Monks Hall at Santon Downham. Unlike many other rich men who became landed gentry by buying up the newly privatised monastic lands, Kytson had first put his wealth into property in Suffolk when he purchased Hengrave in 1521. Sir Thomas Kytson died at Hengrave Hall shortly after making these transactions.
At first this post was appointed by the crown, and later by the Abbot.
The duties included returning writs to the Sheriff, apprehending and holding lawbreakers, and convening the Liberty and hundred courts.
He had been a rich wool merchant, trading in Flanders, and had built Hengrave Hall on the proceeds from 1525 to 1538.
The house was left to his wife, Margaret, and his only son, also called Thomas, who was born soon after his death.